Thursday, May 13, 2010

When it rains, it pours.

It's still raining. I don't know why I expected differently from May. All this means to you, is that my project is postponed yet again. I can't collect wood in the mud and rain. It's supposed to be sunny soon though. I'll probably head out tomorrow afternoon.


In the meantime, I wanted to share one of my obsessions. I will warn you, that things that capture my brain are weird, haha. I've been patiently waiting for my very own space to create something like this.

I discovered my first "Plate Wall" a few years ago. I was reading my usual design blogs, and stumbled across it. Ever since than I've been saving pictures and gathering ideas for my very own plate wall. I've thrown plates on a wall symmetrically, spewed all over, in a line, in a flower shape - all sorts of styles and plates have been used. Nothing ever looks right, for me. I have a feeling that it won't look right until it's in my house. So, I'll wait patiently for that.

In the meantime, I want to share my obsession. First, I want to show you a few of my favorite collections.




It's really cool, isn't it? Secondly, if you're interested in throwing together a plate wall - let's talk about your options.

Option number one. Buy new plates. There are lots of cool plates at stores like Urban Outfitters (Just so happens they have a great dish sale going on!).

Option number two. Hit up some antique shops, garage sales, flea markets. They have the coolest plates around. It's also a lot cheaper to buy pretty plates when they're so OLD they're toxic to eat on. Oh, don't things get GREAT with age?

Option number three. This one is my favorite. You can get plain white dishes for really cheap. Sometimes, even at the dollar store. Paint them yourself! This comes in handy if you are going with a theme, and are missing a few plates. Sometimes, you can just NEVER find what you are looking for.


I've found two tutorials to help you guys on your plate wall missions, should you choose to accept it.

Tutorial number one; This tutorial talks about how to arrange a plate wall, and just so happens to be from one of my favorite design blogs ever.

Tutorial number two; This tutorial is a short, and simple tutorial that talks about how and what you would use to paint a plate.


I promise homemade crafts next time I post, even if I gotta break away from my wood project. :] Silly rain. I hope everyone enjoyed my rave. It's got me motivated to start the final collecting stages for a perfect collection! Haha.

Enjoy your weekend, folks! You never know what will happen before the next!

No comments:

Post a Comment